Saturday, October 29, 2011

Stone Piles In The Forest

A Stone Or Rock Pile

I have been reading some other blogs recently about the "stone piles" that are on various areas of the state forest. We were fortunate to have a couple here. I can't tell you much about them. Various reasons they were built are mentioned in discussions about them. I guess I don't really care why they were built. I just like them. For whatever reason they were built, they remain.

The Other One

The two we have here are pretty close together. Since it has been so wet here, we seem to have a lot of that green moss all over the rocks. I have seen stone piles in the state forest and some spots around here, that are not like our piles at all. So maybe different styles, represent different reasons for them being built. I know our house was built in 1850, so not sure if the stone piles were already here or not.

Walking through the forest...........

We also have old foundations in our area, as this was once a populated community. Old roads have gone into disuse. My husband and our dog have hiked all through these woods around us. He has ridden his horse in areas that knew better days. Old farms that have been gone for a very long time. The only signs besides the crumbling foundations, are the old lilacs and roses, still budding each year. 



Not far from each other

Researching the history of our area has proved to be one of my favorite hobbies. I love trying to find the history of my home and the area around us. There are signs of a civilization that has since disappeared. Discovering the old watering troughs along these state forest roads, has been a source of enjoyment too. One is not far from us, in fact walking distance. Nobody even sees them or knows they are there, I think.

Rocks are various sizes

Most of the farms in our area, have sold their stone fences. It is a shame when they do that. I love the look of them. And the history! The men who toiled in the fields building those fences. I wonder about those men. Like the man who built my house. I think about him often and wonder about his life. He was a part of this community that is all gone now. Our house being the only one left. How does one house out of a whole community survive, and the others have all disappeared?  





 


Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011  Kathleen G. Lupole

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I too would leave the stones as they are. They are history and I love history. Like you, I imagine the hands that stacked the rocks, the reasons why, etc. If nothing else, they are intriguing to look at.
Sandy

Dave Keller said...

It is possible that the rock piles could have been navigation or boundary markers for surveyors. We have a couple of rock piles on my dad's mountain land at points where the property line makes a turn.

I think it is so cool that you share the beauty of your surroundings with us. I call it, living the dream... :)

Dave

Annie said...

Beautiful pictures again Kat, I would love to walk thru your woods!

I've never seen stone piles, at least not that I remember.

Lori said...

I've never heard of a stone pile or ever seen one. See, I always learn something new when I visit your site. Great pics too. I was thinking of you this morning, I know you've had some cold weather and this morning we had our first big snow of the season. Enough snow to close the school district we live in. Keep warm!

Unknown said...

I've seen stone piles before & wondered why they were there. What a beautiful & peaceful area you live in! Where I am we're expecting the first snow of the season this weekend.

Tim MacSweeney said...

The Rock Piles Blog: http://rockpiles.blogspot.com/